Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ready to start WEEK 3?

This week will be my third week of school. One month ago TODAY I drove away from Texas to move to Boise. Since then I've spent a few days in Oregon, started school, started watching a pair of great kids everyday, switched my license plates AND driver's license over to Idaho, been visited by an old Teen Mania roommate, and been to The Pursuit's college group once and Intervarsity (BSU Campus Ministry) once. It feels like life in Texas existed forever ago.

I figured that the one month mark would be a good time for an update:

1. I'm surviving. :)

2. I really love living with the York family! Josiah (the 16 month old) is a great distraction from homework. Jamie is an amazing friend to me - she even shared her stash of thin mints when I was having a rough day. Robbie shares a lot of wisdom and helps me all the time! Also - I definitely love making my room my OWN. I just put up a bulletin board last night and filled it w/ cards and pictures and memorabilia. I love it!

3. School.... well, I'm getting the hang of it. As of right now, I'm completely caught up in all reading/assignments in half of my classes. The other two classes I still have quite a bit of reading to do. I have great professors and, for the most part, my classes are very interesting. The campus is AWESOME - there's a bowling alley in the student union building and a Chick-fil-A will be opening soon! Next semester I'm going to try to take some online classes as well as on campus classes - this will free up my schedule even more so I can get another job. Sadly, I found out that I misunderstood the cost of tuition for out of state students... this completely caught me off guard. My wonderfully gracious Mom offered to take out a Parent PLUS loan for the remaining few thousand to help with this year. I seriously considered dropping my classes this semester due to the unforeseen cost. I decided to push through and reminded myself that next year will be better.

4. Social? Uh, not really. Like I said at the top, I went to the college group from church last week and Intervarsity at BSU. I'm not super excited about either one... but I'm not going to give up. (Transition takes a LOT of endurance...) I've met a couple people at school and a couple people in both of those groups... but I really just know names. It takes a lot to go from acquaintance to FRIEND. I'm okay with that, though. I've become more introverted than I thought.

On the other hand - I have two of the greatest friends in Virginia and we skype once a week to continue accountability... I am so blessed by them and their commitment to still invest in our friendships even though we're all in different seasons of life. I definitely look forward to the time we get to spend together thanks to technology!

5. I already posted a blog about Channing and Gannon - so you can see below to read about my experiences with those two crazy kids. :) I feel so warmly welcomed into this awesome family! I'm even getting better doing Channing's hair in the mornings! And on Friday Gannon told me he wants me to stay forever. I don't know what his obsession is with that word, but it's sweet. I'm sure I'll have PLENTY of funny stories to share as time goes on...

3 comments:

  1. Lots of changes in your life, Kailene! You sound very positive about it all. I know it's difficult, but you seem to be embracing all that the Lord is providing you right now. It will get easier. We're so proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4. - I'll be praying God brings you some really good friends in Boise ... the iron sharpening iron kind. You're a great friend to talk to ... miss you, and our Monday meetings!

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies! That means so much to me. I miss our monday meetings, too, Beth!

    ReplyDelete