Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Few Things I've Learned as a Nanny...


(I still don't know that I technically qualify as a "nanny" -- but it's the best word I can think of for someone who is specifically hired by a family to watch their kids everyday.)


1. Mom's never sleep. I don't know how they do it. Kerinda (Channing & Gannon's mom) told me that Gannon woke her up at 6:30 this morning... on a Saturday... after a looooong week. Oh yes. My heart went out to this woman. Then I remembered to thank the good Lord that I don't have a 3 and 6 year old in my life yet to wake me up at all hours of the night and tonight I get to sleep peacefully. [My time will come...]


2. Children epitomize the phrase "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" -- today Gannon wanted rice for lunch and he wouldn't touch his other food until the rice was made. He was very concerned that I didn't know how to make it like his mom does. Then I put some on his plate, he ate 4 bites and was suddenly full. This is not his first offense. (ha!) I have to stop believing them when they try to tell me what/how much they will eat!


3. Everything takes longer with young kids. Plain and simple. Eating a meal, brushing your teeth, getting ready for bed... you name it, it's probably going to take longer than you expect. This is fine, now that I've learned to plan for it!


4. Thank the kids for doing WELL! When they say 'please' without being asked or offer to share a toy or resolve a problem on their own or prefer their sibling... pretty much whenever I catch them doing the RIGHT thing, I try to acknowledge it. "Thank you for saying 'please,' Channing; that was a very nice way to ask." Positive reinforcement... I've learned about this multiple times in psychology classes, and I've seen it play out when watching kids.


5. Hold your ground! Last week I gave Channing and Gannon a bath and Kerinda warned me that I might have trouble getting Gannon OUT of the bathtub because he likes to play. So I gave the 5 and 2 minute warnings and then told them it was time to get out. He said, "Noooo! My mom always lets us stay in until the water drains." I looked at Channing and she said, "Well, yes, but he needs to learn how to obey the FIRST time!" Haha! That's right! So I stood by what I said and didn't back down!


All of this on top of random other things... choosing clothes for the day, fixing their hair (we've been spiking Gannon's w/ gel & I've gotten better w/ Channing's ponytails!), when it's okay to change the schedule, etc, etc. I have a feeling this whole experience will be highly beneficial in my life.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds all too familiar, but I am oh so glad I am not alone in this weird transition. Keep up the good work!
    ~Alisa Riddick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks, Alisa! I love seeing pictures/hearing about your adventures nannying, too. I love it! I'm watching the kids on Saturday night and we're going to have a football party and watch the Boise State game on TV... Channing (6 yrs old) is going to make decorations! :)

    ReplyDelete