Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thankful Thursday... [the right time to be thankful]

Not that Monday or Saturday or Friday do not require or deserve thankful hearts as well, but this thankful Thursday happened to come at just the right time. It's easy to be thankful when the blessings are obvious; when things are going well and life is "smooth sailing." It's not so easy to be thankful when it seems like things keep piling up and your energy keeps draining. There's no balance there. It's much more work to have a thankful heart. It's harder to see how God is working, to see the many things we are blessed with everyday.

On my way home last night, after a 13 hr day (time away from home), I chose to drive through my favorite coffee shop because they were having a deal. [I'm a sucker for deals.] It required me to take the long way home on a quiet almost-back-road. On my way there I felt like I should use the extra time I had on the way home to pray. I didn't necessarily have anything specific on my heart, just needed to pray.

While the guys at the coffee shop were making my iced kicker, one of them said, "You have a lovely smile. Has anyone ever told you that?" As I drove away and began to talk with God I said, "Thank you, Lord, for even those little forms of encouragement." A sweet compliment from a random stranger. That blessed my heart.


Then the verse in Psalm 62:8 came to mind, 
"Trust in Him at all times, you people; 
Pour out your hearts to Him, 
for God is our refuge."

So I began to pour my heart out to Him... which resulted in implementing the fifth strategy for fighting discouragement (from this post: Rising Above) and crying the rest of the way home. My heart was open. Offering up my vulnerability, everything I am. Ready to receive... grace, wisdom, love, peace, humility. 

As I pulled up to my house and wiped my damp eyes, I thought, "It's a good thing tomorrow is 'Thankful Thursday.'" It's just what my heart needs -- that simple redirection that thankfulness brings. The right time to be thankful is when it's especially hard to be thankful. 

Today I am thankful for...
1. A fun day ahead of me w/ two cute kids at the Pumpkin Patch. I'm excited to do fall-like things.
2. An extremely refreshing long distance phone call with one of my project directors - and dear friend - from my Panama trip this summer. I'm so thankful for the time to catch up with her.
3. Being a part of my brother and sister-in-law's beautiful wedding last weekend... I love them!
4. Finding my Bible! Oh, I'm so thankful for this! After a week and a half of being lost, I checked the lost and found in the Student Union Building at school and it was there!
5. The blessing of working w/ an incredible family as their nanny. This truly is the most ideal for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment