Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rising Above

We've all been there... the car broke down, every weekend seems to be booked from now until forever, the numbers on the scale keep going up instead of down, just when you think you've finally caught up, there's another mound of work to do... life can get overwhelming faster than I can read through my to do list to even know what all I'm overwhelmed with! 

I read this list last night in the book I just started reading and wanted to share it with you because:
     1. I love lists.
     2. I especially love PRACTICAL lists.
     3. It's good to know that I'm not alone in needing to apply a few or all of these things.
     4. Everyone needs this reminder every now and then because we have an enemy who is working against us and wants to make us believe that we shouldn't need any of these things.

Joanna Weaver's "Five Strategies for Fighting Discouragement" 
(Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, 2000, p. 21, italics mine)

1. Allow for rest stops. Discouragement is often our body's way of saying, "Stop! I need rest." Try taking a nap or getting to bed a little earlier. It's amazing how different things will look in the light of morning. 

"Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest." Exodus 34:21

This is so important! I remember my first year out of high school, I had just moved from Oregon to Texas, and I learned how to tell when I was getting sick. I correlated it to a mother knowing when her child is tired or hungry. She just knows the signs. Well, I was excited that I could know those same signs for myself, too. I know that when I start to get sick (sometimes due to stress), I lose my appetite and can't seem to get enough sleep. It's just a matter of evaluating where you're at and recognize when your body needs more or less of something. It truly is amazing what a good night's rest can do.

2. Get a new point of view. Take a few steps back and ask God to help you see his perspective on your situation. Often what seems to be an impassable mountain in our eyes is only a steppingstone in His.

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:9 (substituted from the verse in the book)

It's all about perspective. Really. Sure, my computer breaking is frustrating -- but it was an easy fix and was only out of commission for four days. I will live. Sure, not studying for a linguistics midterm will not lead to a high grade and that will just fit in the grade book nicely next to my less-than-great homework assignment grades -- but I've made it through hard classes before and I will make it through this one. I am not defined by my grades. Look at your frustration from a different angle.

3. Have patience. It's easy to get discouraged when things don't go the way you planned. But if you've committed your concerns to the Lord, you can be sure he is at work, even when you don't see his hand.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Just trust. Trust and obey. Trust that His plans for you are GOOD and He is not going to leave you or forsake you. Your life is in His hands. Rely on this truth and the worry fades away... most of the time, in my own life, I don't even see the "lesson" or "growth opportunity" or purpose in those times of discouragement until I'm through them looking back. Be patient to wait and experience those times because God's plan is far better than anything we could come up with on our own!

4. Mingle. Discouragement feeds off isolation. Get out of the house! Go visit some friends. It's amazing how good, old-fashioned fellowship can lift our spirits and chase away the blues.

"How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!" Psalm 133:1

There are definitely times when I need to be alone and just rest in God's presence. There are definitely other times when I need to choose to avoid isolation and go be social. I'm usually grateful for it in the end. Part of knowing yourself is knowing when you need to be alone and when you need to be with other people. It's not always about what you WANT to do either. Check your motives. Sometimes I just need to get out of my own head and stop focusing on myself long enough to see that the world is bigger than my problems. I need to get out of that pit of self-pity and focus on someone else - serving, loving or simply enjoying other people.

5. Set the timer. Okay. So things aren't so good. I've found it helpful to set the oven timer and allow ten minutes for a good cry. But when the buzzer sounds, I blow my nose, wipe my eyes, and surrender my situation to the Lord so I can move on.

"a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance," Ecclesiastes 3:4


It's okay to cry. Crying is actually healthy. It releases toxins, lowers stress, and elevates mood. (According to PsychCentral) Crying is NOT a sign of weakness. The point is not to allow yourself to wallow, but to acknowledge the frustration/discouragement/etc, experience the emotions (cry/journal), and then surrender to the Lord so you can move on. Crying for 10 minutes is a healthy release; crying for 10 days, probably not so much.

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." 
Deuteronomy 31:8


No comments:

Post a Comment