Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Loving Fall

There's a cold front coming in today with a wind advisory all afternoon. I don't know what this says about me, if anything, but I have a strange fascination with weather. (I hate science, though, so it has nothing to do with that.) I absolutely love storms. Thunderstorms, lightning, snowstorms, or anything out of the ordinary. 

I couldn't find any gloves this morning, though... I think all of my warm clothes are in storage. I'll have to go pick those up soon because my fingers are going to freeze tonight when I leave campus and make the long walk to my car around 9:00 and it's 35 degrees, which I haven't felt in a loooong time.

I love sweaters, hot tea, Christmas movies & music (they just come naturally with cold weather), boots, scarves, soup, fuzzy blankets, the end of the semester, puffy vests, red/yellow/orange leaves, the sound of rain, preparing for and celebrating holidays.

So many things to look forward to. 

But really, I could write this same post at the start of any season. There are things that I love & appreciate about Winter, Spring and Summer, too. I don't know if I could even name a favorite, because there are so many pros/cons to each. I'd have to weigh them carefully and then decide.

Probably by making a list. That's just how I roll.

Not to over spiritualize things, but isn't this like LIFE, too?

There are pros/cons for every season. Just like when it's Winter, everyone wants it to be Summer... a lot of times we want to be in a different season of life. "The grass is always greener on the other side." We want what we can't have or, better yet, we want what someone else has. We think that we should be done with the current season we're in and move on to the next one, for goodness' sake. 

As I sit here drinking my warm coffee, wearing a new sweater, excited for fall & cold weather, I'm reminded that there truly is purpose in every season. In nature and in our lives. 

Just as God is sovereign over nature and created an order for plants to grow and animals to live and the world to function, He does the same thing for our lives. He is sovereign. There is purpose

Get excited about the next season, because you can be sure that it will be great. But don't forget to LIVE in this one, too. 

3 comments:

  1. Kailene,

    I feel the same way! Thanks for sharing your heart about this! I really enjoy reading your insight and encouragement!

    Miss you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so so so SO true. I love your optimism and joy, it's contagious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm encouraged by your comments!!! Thanks, friends. :) Miss you, too!

    ReplyDelete