Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Studying pays off. Procrastination, not so much.

Hello there, friends.

I feel like Christmas is coming because I'm going to Virginia in a day and a half to visit two of my best friends (Heather and Emily... pictured on the right side bar.) AND we get to go to ATF and cook together and talk face to face and it's just going to be so wonderful. Possibly better than Christmas. Just a little.

Anyways, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I set out to write... I just wanted to share it because it's probably the cause of my procrastination anyways. You know, you just get too excited to even sit still?! Yeah, that's me. :-)

I learned something very valuable today: Studying pays off, but procrastination costs you. (Oooh, that's some good word choice right there.) I studied this morning for my test in interpersonal communication on Crucial Conversations. (a really good book on "talking when the stakes are high") This "studying" business is something that you would ASSUME that people typically do prior to taking a test. Eh, it's kind of hit or miss for me. My perspective has generally been, "I either know it or I don't." I read the material, look over my notes, attend class, and do whatever else I need to do... but I've discovered that I'm generally a very poor studier. Well, this morning I actually whipped out the study guide and answered all the questions and reviewed the material and then read through my answers multiple times... that's called studying, right? ;-) I took the test tonight and lo and behold it was awesome! I knew the answers and was SO relaxed. (I've dealt with some test anxiety since high school... probably due to a lack of studying. ha!) It was great! What a revelation.

On the other hand... I have a final paper due tomorrow night in my Perspectives of Inquiry class - the really difficult, philosophical one. I've learned a lot through this class... mostly having to do with perseverance, self-talk (positive - I can do it!), being a critical thinker, etc. All I have left to do in the semester (for this class) is write the paper by midnight tomorrow, take the final on Thurs of next week, and attend class tomorrow. So close! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! For some reason, though, it's not motivation enough because I am practically dreading this paper. (That's probably why I started blogging instead!) I just need to psych myself up for it... almost done! My trip to VA will be that much more refreshing knowing that this is DONE. Yeah! I got this!

Okay, I'm ready to go write now.
Actually, I'll probably make it about 20 minutes until I can't keep my eyes open anymore and fall asleep. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment