Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

D.E.C.I.D.E.

Sometimes you just have to decide. I have written many posts over the last year and a half of blogging on making decisions. Mostly, because it's a part of life and I just write about LIFE. Making decisions are possibly one of the parts of life I dread the most... but they are inevitable, nontheless. Decisions range in everything from what to wear, what to drive, how to spend money, how to use my time, how to save money, what to study, how much to study, where to live, who to pursue relationship with, what to read, what to say......... I could go on. Everyday we make decisions. There are times when a decision may take months to make and then finally requires a response and then I brace myself for the repurcussions of what I decided. My personality is not one that typically makes decisions easily. I like to know what other people think and what will the aftermath be, weigh the cost/rewards. [My interns from Teen Mania know all about this - I am ALL about making pros/cons lists.] 

I need to learn to not be so preoccupied with the thoughts of others and become more focused on listening to the whisper of the Holy Spirit and obey on the first time. That's what I tell Gannon! "You need to obey on the first time, not the fifth time." He's still working on it, but so am I. I'd like to think that I don't have an issue with obedience, I just have trouble knowing WHAT is the right thing. Well, I'd probably be more apt to understanding WHAT it is God wants me to do if I were less self-focused from the beginning. It's not all about me! I need to seek FIRST His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto [me].

What does that look like?
- Open and consistent prayer. Psalm 62:8 "Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." Pouring out my heart may be messy and uncomfortable... but I can trust Him at all times. This is seeking FIRST His kingdom - not waiting for me to somehow get my life in order before I include my Maker.
- Meditation. Don't just pour out my heart and then leave. If I'm chatting with a friend and need some advice I wouldn't share the situation and then leave without receiving input. I would pour my heart out and then wait to receive support, help, encouragement, etc. Part of seeking first His kingdom in this process of decision making is soaking in His presence and allowing Him to speak to my heart.

Life is FULL of decisions and there is absolutely no formula to make the right one. Graciously, we have a God who is completely unchanging and His word is TRUTH. I need to learn to seek first His Kingdom in all decisions rather than taking it all into my own hands to sort out.

No comments:

Post a Comment