Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Enjoyment

*Felicia, this one's for you! We've had many conversations in the past year about enjoyment and whenever I see it play out (or NOT play out) in my life, I always think of you.

What does it mean to truly enjoy life?

There are SO many hundreds of things that pull our attention one way or another: family, friends, job, volunteer responsibilities, classes, homework, grades, random expectations (either legitimate or perceived), financial planning/recovery, health, etc, etc, etc. It could be anything. In my experience, which is not extensive by any means, it's when I get wrapped up in all of those things and try to make sure I'm right on track with "where I'm supposed to be" that I stop enjoying life and start to become anxious and legalistic.

[Read: 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." Bam.]

So, what does it mean to truly enjoy life? Do what you love. Be yourself. Remember to find peace and joy in the LITTLE things. I love the little things! Sometimes it's a nice reminder to write a list of some "little things" that you enjoy. Then, when you find yourself getting caught up in the mess of those big things that weigh you down, pick one to enjoy.

Some of my little things are... sitting by fireplaces, reading a book for fun, taking a bubble bath, cooking dinner, watching one of my favorite movies with my favorite popcorn and some hot chocolate, going for a walk, looking through old photo albums, getting ice cream with friends, going for a drive, journaling, finding new music that I love, a video chat with a friend who lives far away...

Sometimes you just need to take a step back and look at the big picture. This situation likely does not determine the rest of my life. I'm in it to learn and persevere to build character and become a stronger woman... but God does not want us to wish every day away because it seems unbearable. Yes, life is hard. We all know that. But we can choose to enjoy it. It's NOT wrong to take the time to do what you love!

Today I walked the kids to school in the rain - finally able to get my rainboots, winter coat and scarf out! Love it! - and now I'm back sitting by the fire and drinking coffee. I truly love this! Tonight I get to enjoy good conversation with a friend. What a great day this will be!

How are you enjoying life today?

2 comments:

  1. I now enjoy the little things.... it's actually easy to do. But for awhile there I did have a hard time with it. But Kayla and I would have these 'parties' where we would make dinner or buy a bunch of junk food and dress up or get in our pbs and watch tv series. It was so much fun! Simply being silly or going over the top made life more enjoyable. Kayla's mom told us once after we were planning a themed party that we always had too much fun... that she wanted to party with us. We laughed because we were just dorks watching tv in my living room.... but we enjoyed it. I still sometimes have a hard time with the word 'fun'right because my definition isn't usually like other peoples. But I do know what I enjoy and try to keep trying and finding value in new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clle, It's Lex! I've been checking out your blog lately because I have really been identifying with your feelings of anxiety and not taking time to enjoy the "little things" because I am always so stressed out. I just wanted you to know your blog has encouraged & uplifted me. For someone who has been through so much, you sure do have a lot of faith, and I look up to that.

    ReplyDelete