Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Monday, June 28, 2010

A New Perspective of "GOODBYE"

"In order to be where God wants you to be, you have to leave where He doesn't want you to be." Paul Hatfield (The Pursuit)

Maybe I've been looking at this whole concept of goodbye with the wrong mindset. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it will be. Maybe there is even PURPOSE behind what the Lord has called me to do. (Duh) There is something greater coming after the goodbye... the goodbye is not the end.

I haven't been completely and utterly dreading this goodbye. It's been more of a roller coaster ride: one day I get SO excited about being a college student at BSU and finding a job that I will get a paycheck for and seeing the magnificent mountains every single day... then the next day all I have to do is take my precious GI's out to coffee at Mercy Ships and think, "Gosh, I'm going to miss this little coffee shop and these beautiful people and this campus that I know so well and did I mention the people? I'm sure going to miss these non Texan friends who all strangely ended up in Texas. (Okay, and I'll miss the Texans, too.)

See - I go from one extreme to another. (Maybe that's why I've been so tired lately...) All of that to explain that I'm definitely not living in the depths of despair over this, but I think that I could always adopt a more eternal, more joyful perspective. Especially regarding change. Because with change comes the unknown. DUN DUN DUN. I dont' know where I'm going to work in August. I don't know what classes I'm going to take. I don't know what my friendships will look like. I don't know if my car will make it to Boise. (Just kidding on that last one - I'm fairly confident that it'll be just fine.) When I think about all of this "unknown," I tend to draw back. I'd rather stay with what I DO know. The unknown requries trust. Saying goodbye to something old and stepping into something new requires trust.

Trust in HIS wisdom, not your own. Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." I need to trust at all times that God knows infinitely more than I do. Therefore, I would much rather HIM map the course of my future, than me, in my futile mind guess as to what the best option potentially could be. Choosing to follow the Lord will always benefit me AND His Kingdom; even when it's hard to tell how it will all work out.

So the new perspective is this: even when you can't see the future and fear the unknown, just know that you can choose to follow God - the King of Kings - who knows just where He wants you. His plan for you are GOOD. Where He leads may not be easy. But He promises that He will NEVER leave you.

This is the verse that encouraged me as I graduated High School and prepared to move to Texas for what I thought would be a one year long internship (it turned into 3 years somewhere along the way...) -- Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." He will be with me WHEREVER I GO. Whether it's Oregon or Texas or Idaho or somewhere that I don't even know about yet. He will always be with me... before and after the inevitable "Goodbye."

3 comments:

  1. Great words of wisdom, Kailene. Learning to trust is so necessary ... sometimes it feels like I have to learn over and over again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :) They remind me of some lyrics from Chris Rice: "Why does the past always seem safer? Maybe because at least we know we made it. And why do we worry about the future when every day will come just the way the Lord ordained it?" :)
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was rather comforting. Thanks for sharing Kailene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I'm so glad you read my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete