Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Monday, June 14, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss


So last August I bought a 2004 Nissan Sentra. I had saved and waited and searched and sought advice and eventually decided to make the big purchase. It may sound silly, but I learned an awful lot just going through that process of buying a car. It was a large purchase - which is rough on the bank account when you work for free at a ministry. My only income was my $150 monthly food allotment check! Well, I found a good deal and decided to snatch it!


Here's a shot of my quirky little car on the day I bought it... Broken doors, crazy "service engine soon" light, only starts on the third try, and covered in red Texan dirt... but I love it!


Being a native Oregonian, and a sheltered driver - my Dad always helped take care of my cars when I was in High School, I was very confused when I got pulled over on Saturday because my tags were expired. I thought I took care of that back in March or February or something like that?? Come to find out - don't laugh at me - all I did was renew my registration, which has NOTHING to do with my car's inspection. The inspection expired in MARCH. Whew. I plead my ignorance and explained that I'm not from here (well, that's obvious!) and I'm actually moving in a couple of months and I really don't know what I'm doing... "please have pity on me, kind sir!" Okay, so I didn't say all of that - but I hoped that he caught the drift anyway. Thankfully, he understood that I wasn't rebellious, I just don't know what I'm doing, so he gave me 14 days to get it inspected and send proof to the county courthouse.
That's only the second time I've ever been pulled over after driving for 6 and a half years! My brother has been driving for four years and has been pulled over about 50x more than I have. :) Remind me to check the registration/car inspection protocol when I move to Idaho... I could find myself in another sticky situation of ignorance.


No comments:

Post a Comment