Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Worth Fighting For

There are plenty of things in life that seem to be important, but pale in comparison to what is REALLY worth fighting for...

When I got in a car accident (both times) I was told "It's just a car. It doesn't matter."

When I stress out over writing a paper or taking a test my mom always tells me (and just did 2 minutes ago on the phone) "you just need to do my best and not worry about the rest. That's all you can do."

Sometimes my room looks like a tornado just passed through.

Sometimes I overcook dinner or my banana bread turns out funny.

Sometimes I oversleep or say the wrong thing or have a bad attitude.... all in the same day.

... Yes, these things seem MASSIVELY detrimental at the time. But they don't last. I will do my best in school, but it's not always worth fighting for perfect grades. I like to be organized and keep my room clean, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. They don't really matter.  

So what REALLY is worth fighting for?

People.
Relationships.
Justice.
Freedom.
Truth.
LOVE.

Why is it that we so often put more energy into fighting for a clean house or more money or perfect grades than into justice and relationships and truth? The first three can be used to project a "better" image of ME - i.e. selfishness. The last three require vulnerability and risk and strength outside of ourselves. That is when it no longer is about me. Now it's about the other person, whether that is working to free a child immersed in the hellish world of sex trafficking (Check out a heart wrenching article on sex trafficking in Portland, OR -- http://www.washingtontimes.com/), showing genuine love in a relationship, or abandoning all to seek the heart of God and surrender to His will. Why are the most fulfilling and significant parts of our lives the things that we tend to shy away from and dismiss?

I never want to run away from the things that I should be devoting my life to FIGHT for. Lord, forgive me for the times that I fight for the things that don't really matter. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NoIJglsGms <-- I'm sure I've posted this song before, but you should listen to it again and read the lyrics. "Love is not a Fight" by Warren Barfield. One of my ultimate favorites. 

2 comments:

  1. I am there with you Kailene and Benjamin and I are about to change that. We are going to be supporting an orphan in Haiti each month with $40. We are so excited. Our church has adopted this orphanage there so we can actually start caring for the orphans. [James 1:27] It is about our perspective. Is it on eternity or the immediate?
    Always love to hear your heart!!
    I am about to listen to the song.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have told you this before. My mother has always said "In the light of eternity, does this really matter?" I used to hate that phrase but it does tend to put things in perspective pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete