Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Trust. [and that's all]

I don't know about you, but sometimes (ok, ok... most times) I just want answers. I just want a formula or a set of instructions or a road map or even a compass pointing me in the right direction... just SOMETHING that will hint at what it is I'm supposed to do. Not just with the rest of my life, but with today. (And next month and next year, and, yeah, the rest of my life, too.)
Sunday was the first time in the five and a half weeks that Jake and I have been in a relationship that I wanted to ask again: "Sooo... what does that look like?" I knew that that's what I wanted to hear, so I tried to reword the question, in hopes of getting the same answer. It didn't work. Jake's a smart guy and he told me that was cheating! ;-) He knows that I want a formula or road map, but he also knows that that's just not how relationships work. He reminded me that we will both continue to seek the Lord and be led by His Spirit. That is how we know if we are on track. It is encouraging to hear from him how he fervently seeks God on my behalf and prays for our relationship and specific conversations that we have. It's about trusting the Lord and each other. Period.

Trust means that I don't need to have all the answers; I don't need to have it all figured out. In reality, I can't have it all figured out! But I am really okay with that. What a lesson in depending on God! (and how awesome that in my relationship w/ Jake I am learning to depend on God?! I'm pretty sure that is what relationships are supposed to look like.) The "[and that's all]" portion of the title of this post indicates that it truly is not about me OR Jake trying to "make it work." It's just about both of us seeking the Lord for wisdom and trusting Him every step of the way. God is faithful to provide for and lead His children. He does not desire for us to wander aimlessly; His plans are GOOD... more than anything we could ask or imagine. 

That being said, WHY would I ever even think about creating my own plans?!  

2 comments:

  1. You and I are definitely the same in this area. I definitely think i need to have a road map to everything. But I'm learning to trust more and more. And yes, relationships are supposed to be furthering your relationship with God. yay! That is very exciting. You may not know what this is going to look like in the future but God does. So it makes sense to let him lead you :) Much easier said then done but all we have to do is ask and God will lead us!

    ReplyDelete