Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Another Day to be THANKFUL.

I haven't written about gratitude in a while, and I'm discovering more and more that this is one topic that I'm extremely passionate about. I've probably shared this before, but I'll just refresh your memory: my first year out of high school I moved 2000 miles away from home and was a part of a Christian leadership internship program. I was still struggling with the remnants of depression and crazy-false mindsets regarding who I am and who God is. My lovely core advisor, Kristi, helped me to shift my focus by encouraging me to make lists of EVERYTHING I was grateful for. Everything from having a pillow to sleep on, air to breathe, food to eat, awesome roommates, etc. Anything that came to mind. She told me that if I fill my mind with things that I'm grateful for, there won't be room for any of the other junk. I completely believe this! (If you don't, you should try it someday. Just be thankful and you WILL see a shift in the way you think.) This is how we should live our lives every day.

Today I'm grateful for the beautiful fall weather... a cozy coffee shop to spend the afternoon in... the amazing community that God has blessed me with here... an extremely relaxing afternoon yesterday - exactly what I needed... encouragement from good friends... this tasty mug of coffee :) ... an 'A' on the quiz I just took... God's provision in a fantastic job and place to live... reading just the right book at just the right time - I love receiving wisdom from Elisabeth Elliot in her book "Passion and Purity"... weddings! I'm thankful for weddings :) ... weekends - so, so grateful for the weekend to take a breather... peace that passes all understanding - thank you, Jesus!

I can choose to dwell on either the amount of school work I have, what I need to do to get caught up in Extreme Life, preparing for the Saturday morning ladies' Bible study, this head cold that is just obnoxious, the stress of budgeting and making large purchases, the many things that keep going wrong with my poor little car, etc, etc, etc.... OR I can choose to dwell on God's goodness, the many blessings that He continues to give me, His unconditional love, how He provides ALL the way EVERY time, and the truly amazing community of friends that He's put me in.

I have MUCH to be thankful for!
------------------------------------------------------

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Proverbs 12:25

No comments:

Post a Comment