Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Some thoughts on [FAITH]

The virtue of the month in Extreme Life (children's ministry) at The Pursuit (thepursuit.org) for June was FAITH. We are all - kids and volunteers - writing or creating a "faith story" to display on the wall for the next month... July's virtue is perseverance. So I journaled this morning... trying to get some thoughts down to write out my own story of faith to display.
-------------------------------------------
Faith is all about dependence. It's so hard to wrap our minds around the fact that He who we cannot see is more steadfast and intimate than any person or thing that we can see.
--> Jeremiah 17:5 "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord.
--> Isaiah 2:22 "Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?"
Our natural tendency is to put our faith in ourselves or some person close to us; both are idolatry - placing something higher than God. When I try to put my faith in myself I wrestle with questions like these: How am I going to get through this? How can I solve my problems? What are my plans for my life? What a burden that is! (AND how SELFISH! Look at all the "I's" and "my's"...) Faith in GOD requires complete surrender to God's will. It's not about ME anymore. It's all about living for His glory alone. No longer do I ask those self-focused questions, I just rest in the arms of a sovereign God and know that His plans are better than anything I could create.
--> Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (v.6) without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
--> Hebrews 12:1 Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith!
--> Hebrews 10:22 "Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and full assurance of faith."
Our Goal???
--> 2 Timothy 4:7-8 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."
--> 1 Timothy 6:11-12 "But you, man of God, flee from all this [love of money], and pursue righteousness, godliness, FAITH, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment