Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Don't Despise the Process.

^ This was a lesson that I learned my intern year at Teen Mania Ministries.

Don't despise the process, because it is in that time that God is interacting with your heart.

Anybody else feel like you're in a constant state of "process" and not a whole lot of anything else? I think I've pretty much pitched a tent and made camp in "process" and won't be allowed to move on until I have accepted and learned and applied all 592 lessons I seem to be currently learning. I don't even know what 'state' I would be in if I weren't in process... but that's probably the whole point.

We're all in process. We're all learning and growing and hopefully being "transformed by the renewing of our minds" on a regular basis. It is natural and easy to despise the times of processing because it is HARD. [Can I get an "amen!?"] Our selfish selves want to run far, far away from anything that pushes/strains/challenges us. Processes can be uncomfortable and sometimes not very fun.

So why not despise them?! Because of the result. Yeah... now we're getting to the good stuff.

The process of cooking = a delicious meal.
The process of getting to know somebody may result in a new friend.
The process of weeding is a nice looking yard.
The process of a 6 hour drive is seeing my family.
The process of studying generally results in a favorable test grade.

When you think about processes in that sense it helps to see the positive results. Somewhere along the process a change occurs... that change is what brings growth. (I understand that the opposite can be argued as well and sometimes change is not good and processes may result in something worse than the beginning. Just go with me here.) Growth is what develops character and maturity. So really, if you feel like you're constantly "in process," it's probably just God maturing you. In a little while you (and I) will be able to look back and see where we've come and all the change that has happened and how every part of that has been a part of creating the PERSON that we are.

So the next time you find yourself in the middle of a grueling, but inevitable, PROCESS: keep a soft, teachable heart and keep your eyes fixed on Jesus... He is just shaping you into who He wants you to be.

----------------------------

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"For physical training has some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Timothy 4:8

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

1 comment:

  1. Once again, I am encouraged by your blog! I enjoyed spending time with you today :) I always enjoy our conversation but it has seriously been so long that I forgot just how much I do enjoy them. It's always very fun chatting with you and I always walk away feeling at peace and encouraged... thanks for being a great friend! As we talked about today I am very goal oriented so I always want to get to somewhere/thing the most effective and efficient way which isn't always BEST. I'm definitely learning to enjoy the processing part of life and trying to live in the moment. So good!

    ReplyDelete