Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Monday, June 20, 2011

Quick Update: 5 Days of "Mom"

I get to spend FIVE WHOLE DAYS with those two cute kids - Channing and Gannon - while their parents are on vacation. We start at 6:30 in the morning (they don't really understand the concept of sleeping in...) and they crash around 8:00... and I follow pretty soon after. This experience is completely different than just babysitting for a few hours. I'm getting the whole package deal - morning routine, first day at soccer camp, lunch, swim lessons, nap (more like trying to coax two kids who think they're too old for naps to nap), dinner, T ball game, bedtime routine (which was pretty traumatic last night), etc, etc. Here are some things I've learned:

1. Everything takes TWICE as long. Whether it's eating, trying to get out of the house, getting dressed, anything... it'll take longer than I expect. Since I do NOT like being late, I just have to expect that it'll take longer and prepare for that. Now I understand what Jamie means when she says that she feels like she just finished cleaning up from breakfast and now it's time for lunch.

2. Repetition is key. If I want Gannon to remember to listen to his soccer coaches, I probably should remind him about 50 times and start 3 days in advance so he's prepared. This means that you have to always think far in advance!

3. Incentives are AWESOME. I'm not sure if it's the same thing as bribery... but whatever it is, it works. I probably use incentives for just about everything... "After your PJ's are on and your teeth are brushed we'll call mom and dad to say good night." "After you eat your whole lunch you can have fruit snacks." "After you have a quiet time you can play outside." I guess I respond well to incentives, too... I like to reward myself after I do homework or get some other task done.

4. Moms are the most self-sacrificing people I know. Nothing is their own - not their time, food, drinks, space, etc. Just in two and a half days, I've had kids eat my food, drink from my water bottle, crawl into my bed, and demand my time. Even though I'm not a mom, I love giving all of these things. Not only do they give of these things constantly, but moms never only think about themselves. They have to always think about what someone else wants or needs or feels. (It's kind of tiring... but so incredibly beautiful when you consider that these natural nurturing instincts in mother's are part of the image of God and how He loves us.) 

5. Sleep when the kids sleep! I didn't sleep well on Saturday night because I have a horrible sunburn, but last night I slept like a ROCK. It was awesome. I got some chores done after the kids went to sleep, then I hustled off to bed. I was exhausted. Watching the kids 24/7 requires a LOT of patience... which requires a LOT of sleep.

6. There was a point yesterday evening where I felt like I was experiencing ESOAL - an Emotionally Stretching Opportunity of a Lifetime - that must mean I really AM learning a lot this week. :) Both of the kids were crying (while brushing their teeth) because NOTHING seemed to be fair and nothing I said made anything better and I just wanted to join the club and cry with them. That was a time when it was nice that I am not THE mom... so I called their mom and dad for help.

Well, it's almost time to go pick up the kids from soccer camp and continue our busy, busy day!

4 comments:

  1. Oh gracious :-/ I guess it's not as bad when you're raising your own, and you aren't just thrown into mommyhood right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Kailene! What a great experience for you. I'm so glad you are getting to do this! The children you are watching are blessed...and the lessons you take away from this time will bless your children in the future! :) I'll be praying for you as you finish out the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. playing mom is so incredibly different from babysitting I totally agree with all of the above statements. haha. It's been awhile since I've had to play mom but I remember it well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww Kailene! what a great learning experience. i can relate with that scenario with my niece and nephews. craziness sometimes, but i have to agree with stephanie, i think it will be different with our own children. starting from beginning to end :].

    ReplyDelete