Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just be intentional...

I lived with Heather Murphy for two years, which means I learned a LOT about being intentional. That woman is the queen of intentionality. I'm really glad that this part of her rubbed off on me. :) It is a concept that can (and should) be applied to your relationship with God, relationships with other people and personal growth. I want to be purposeful about pursuing my own self development and not falling into sin or believing lies.

What does it look like to be intentional?

- Consistency
- Perseverance
- Deliberate
- Know your goals/desired outcome/what you're working towards ("Begin with the end in mind" - I'm pretty sure that's from Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey)
- Authenticity... be real with yourself AND the people around you
- Have a plan! You can't just assume that something will change/happen when you are doing nothing. What are you going to do to stay healthy or to communicate well or to grow in leadership?

-------
Side note: I tend to be overly analytical (I'm sure I'm not the only person who deals with this tendancy) so it's easy for me to get wrapped up in questions - what is this supposed to look like? what am I supposed to say? what is the other person thinking? etc, etc. It's important to remember that life is a PROCESS. It doesn't always come out right at first, but we can push through, learn a lesson, and try again. I cannot expect myself to "follow the plan" everytime because that is unrealistic. I will fail, but that doesn't make me a failure... grace is crucial.
-------

What do you need to be more intentional with in your life? Are you actively pursuing your own growth or just hoping that it will happen along the way?

1 comment:

  1. This has been on mind lately too...it's for sure something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete