Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Monday, April 23, 2012

Processing the Process

If you know me well at all you know that I am a processer - I love to talk things out, analyze, and figure out what is happening in my head, my heart and the world around me. One of the things that initially drew me to my friend, Molly, is that she is a phenomenal person to process life with - she asks the best questions to get me thinking.

Sometimes I get tired of being "in process," though. I try to muster up my own peace and confidence so I can feel like I have finally "made it through" the process. Unfortunately, that's not reality. Life is one big process full of hundreds of smaller processes. All of which work together to make us more refined. As we move forward in these processes we are made more into the likeness of Christ. Why would I want to step in the way of God making me who He wants me to be?!

I'm watching the kids this morning and the song "Blessings," by Laura Story came on the radio...

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?"

Life is ALL about the process.

I was reminded this morning of a simple lesson I learned during my internship at Teen Mania Ministries that went something like this: "Don't despise the process. For it is then that God interacts with your heart." Being in process is essentially being molded by God, if I am in complete submission to Him and don't allow my stubborn will to interfere. Jesus LOVES to interact with our hearts.

There is nothing WRONG with being in process. Our fast-paced, success-driven culture sends the message that if we don't have it all together, if we have not "arrived," then there is something wrong with us. We need to do whatever it takes to get ahead of the curve and show the world that we have made something of ourselves. That is not God's model for our lives. "Making something" of myself leaves no room for God to lead me in Truth. Being in process has nothing to do with weakness; it has everything to do with surrender.

In general, processes contain multiple steps and/or phases in order to be complete. Each step has a clear purpose and cannot be skipped, or it will throw off the process as a whole. There is PURPOSE in the phase of "process" that you are in right now.

Don't despise the process. It is a part of GROWTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment