Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Impact of the Gospel - Days 6+7

I realize that I didn't post yesterday... to be very honest, it was mostly because I had a slightly emotionally draining day and when I came home at 11:00 last night I didn't know what I would write about. I'm still struggling to see... or at least articulate... how the Gospel has impacted me in the past 24ish hours.

A forewarning: I know that this may not sound all that eloquent today. Just saying.

I think what stands out to me the most in how the Gospel has impacted me today/yesterday is realizing and experiencing the effects of brokenness.

This verse from Genesis illustrates the fallen nature of mankind: "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid" (3:10). Adam and Eve took on guilt, shame, and fear in that moment... and each generation since them has dealt with these same emotions. God did not intend for relationships to be broken. The reality of our fallen nature is that relationships DO break, we DO wrestle with feelings of guilt/shame/fear, and we are separated from God because of sin.

[Just like I posted a couple days ago - that separation from God is NOT the end of the story. We DO have hope in Jesus Christ!]

"Therefore, since we have been justified though faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, though whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverence; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -- Romans 5:1-8

What an encouragement these verses are! Paul says it much better than I ever could. :) There is so much that I just don't understand [in life]. I admitted to a friend the other day that I sometimes wish I were not so self-aware because I tend to analyze every single thought that crosses my mind... in case you're not an over analyzer, let me just tell you, it can be exhausting.

BUT - I have hope in the glory of God! So, no matter what happens... all of the things that cause confusion/frustration/pain... I can still trust that God is in control and His plans are GOOD. Brokenness may be an effect of the Fall, but it does not define my future. God's power is so much greater than my own petty frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment