Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Lady in Waiting" - Part 2

Hello, Friends. :)

FYI - These "Lady in Waiting" posts may come sporadically as I don't want to rush my reading through it. I'd much rather take my time, let it all soak in, and all the Holy Spirit to change my incorrect ways of thinking and build upon truth. I don't want to rush that important process. So, thank you kindly for your patience.

Chapter Two - Lady of Diligence

The key to this chapter is: Don't sit around and waste your life! Singleness is not a waiting period where you twiddle your thumbs all day long and listen intently for your name to be called when it's finally time for marriage. No sir! (or, most likely, "No Ma'am!") You may have heard, "These are the best years of your life!" Then thought, "Uh, are you serious?! It can ONLY get better from here!" Well, I (and the authors of this book) would like to suggest that this season is not necessarily any better or worse than other seasons; but it CAN be utilized to serve the Lord with fervor, grow more and more in love with Jesus, and bless others around you.

Ephesians 5:15-17 "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

--> I know that I've heard this verse thousands of times, but never in this context. I love it! It definitely sheds new light for me on making the MOST of my days... months... years in whatever season God has me in. (This is WISDOM.) Foolishness is doing the opposite of what God's will is. Understanding His will comes as we understand His Word.

"Are you busy serving Jesus in your free time, or do you waste hours trying to pursue and snag an available guy?" Not that you have to be at church 7 days a week or be apart of 5 different Bibile Studies, but you do need to examine: Where DOES your time go? Are you really making the most of EVERY opportunity?

If you find that you are wasting valuable time, which is very common in our generation, don't worry - it's not too late to change that! Think about this: What is stopping you from: Serving the Lord and the church? Becoming involved in an accountability group? Leading a Bible Study or prayer meeting? Reading a book or seeking out a mentor to help you grow in a certain area? I think that something that often stops us from doing these things and more is our own attitude and perspective. Some points from Kendall & Jones:

"You are limited by your own sel-pity and lack of obedience."

"Our Selfish nature tends to focus on what we do not have rather than what we do have." (this is why it's important to be THANKFUL.)

"Self-centeredness will rob you of the JOY of serving."

Don't let your attitude stop you from living a full life NOT and not waiting for what may come around the corner. Choose right now what you will allow your thoughts to center around, and hold to it. Set an internal standard for what you will allow in your mind. (That's where these negative attitudes START - with one little thought.) Once you overcome that - which is no easy task, and requires prayer & accountability - then you are ready to jump in and serve, learn, grow, etc. Be proactive!

I'm kind of in a strange place in my life right now... yes, Boise is kind of strange ;-) .... but my lifestyle and schedule are just very different than they have ever been. I love it - it's just different. And I have a lot of open time that I can choose how to spend. I've jumped in and started helping with childcare needs at church and I just started as a small group leader for the 1st graders on Sunday mornings! I keep reading books... I'm trying hard to seek out friends & build relationships... I check my thoughts and remind myself that there is value in this season and I need to stay on my toes to DILIGENTLY seek & serve Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment