Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Monday, October 4, 2010

The "It's Not About Me" Epiphany


It is SO incredibly wonderful living with Ms. Jamie York. I know I've said this before... but for real, this woman is such a blessing in my life! It's great not just because we can gang up on Robbie and make fun of him for eating 6 tacos AND all the ice cream (although, that is pretty fun!), but because we just have spontaneous conversations about EVERYTHING.


They've lived in Boise for a little over a year and still don't really feel connected. (That doesn't offer too much hope on this whole "transition" business I've been dealing with!) So we've talked a LOT lately about relationships and making friends. We are both great friends, but neither of us REALLY have many other friends... after hearing an awesome sermon at The Pursuit yesterday about being a missionary where you're at, Jamie had the "It's not about me" epiphany. I remember the first week of my GI year when I had this epiphany for the first time.... it just completely changes your perspective on life when you STOP thinking about yourself and start to focus more on loving and serving others.


So we realized that we both have kind of been living in that mindset of "I need friends because I want to feel comfortable and accepted and loved, etc, etc." When what we REALLY should focus on is "how can I reach out to my neighbors? how can I serve those in my church? How can I show love to the people within my sphere of influence - NOT just to get something out of it?


This doesn't mean that we just shouldn't have friends and we should only focus on other people all the time.... but Jamie and I have each other.... and we both have solid friendships with women all across the country. So we can cherish the friendships that we have - even if they're not right in front of our faces - and still live the life that God has called us to live here in Boise.

1 comment:

  1. yes. we can be so blinded by our needs that we cannot see the needs of ones around us.
    love you Kailene. keep sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete