Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Sunday, November 14, 2010

What's your motivation?

I just want to walk in purity. I want each decision I make to be based off of truth and rooted in love. I want to be filled with godly wisdom that will determine each step I take and each word I speak.

Do you ever think about your motivation behind doing something in particular? Why do I really want to be his friend? Do I have selfish reasons? Why do I really want to be alone? Am I avoiding something? You know the questions that I'm talking about: Why do we do the things we do?

What's the ROOT?

I know this is true and good and healthy, and I'm sure I could talk someone else through this process... but it always seems more complicated when it's your OWN life, right? How am I supposed to know what my motivations are when I seem to have hidden them so well that even I don't understand why I do what I do? It seems to be a certain way, but is that REALLY what's in my heart? Or is it that I just "know" that it's the "right" answer? But what really IS the "right" answer? Everyone always says, "I can't make this decision for you." Goodness gracious. I just want to always be able to know the wise choice and walk in it.

I don't like to do things just to do them. (generally, speaking.) I don't like to make decisions flippantly either. I also don't want to make decisions just to please other people, though. But I can't make decisions selfishly either.

Hmm... I think I need to find some balance. And trust that I really can hear the voice of the Lord. His Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. (gosh, I love when scripture just pops to mind like that!)

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! I've been thinking about this the last while too. How do I define success? It's so good to just step back and really question your motives or what you're doing. I love this and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friends... I love you both! I'm still trying to grasp my mind around this concept and figuring out how to find my hidden motives to make pure decisions... it's all a learning process. :)

    ReplyDelete