Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Oh Boy. Here it Comes Again...

That inevitable point in the semester when life settles and you realize it's a LOT.

a lot to manage.
a lot to get done.
a lot to learn about.
a lot to WRITE. a lot to READ.
a lot of coffee to drink. (there's no way this much coffee is good for my health...)
a lot of driving to and from campus.
a lot of late nights. (10:00 counts as a late night for me.)

Just... a lot.
I know I'm not the only one like this, right?
Anyone?

This is the third semester in a row that I have gotten physically sick due to stress. This time I didn't even see it coming... my body responded faster than my head! It's a "warning sign," I've been told. I need to heed this warning before the stress takes over and causes even worse issues.

Um, this is crazy. Why can't my body just take it like a man (actually, a woman, preferrably) and buck up?! Now that I've learned to take all those stressful thoughts captive and am doing GREAT, why can't my body keep up?!

I was reminded that I need to pay special attention to the "basics" -- eating healthy, exercising, getting enough sleep, drinking water, etc. That's all well and good. Actually, I know that I need to put more priority on all of this things to contribute to my overall health and nonstressedness - even though I'm currently at a loss for how to do it. :-/

... but the MOST important thing? The thing that fills me up, satisfies my soul, heals my heart, and renews my mind? Time with Jesus. Just BEING, not DOING. Pouring out my heart to Him, not acting like everything's okay. Just accepted, not judged or condemned.

So full of grace and love and peace.



... and it's a good thing, too. Because I need it today! [and everyday]

The difference between then and now? I'm okay. I know that He's got me... and I'm okay. Yes, today I cried when the dog was barking at me one one side of the hallway and Gannon was throwing a tantrum on the other side of the hallway. Yes, I skipped class today in an effort to keep calm & get things done. Yes, I still have a lot to do tonight and I just want to be able to wind down and relax. But, so what. These things are futile, don't matter in the grand scheme of LIFE, and I will not allow them to affect me the way they used to.

It's only evidence to God's faithfulness that I respond differently to stress now! (emotionally/mentally... not so much physically, my body still isn't on the same page...)

2 comments:

  1. Um. Yes. Been there. Am there. Well...not TODAY. But earlier this week. And last week. It's just...yeah...a lot. I took the evening "off" last night to spend with the family. My poor husband made the comment "Well, I haven't seen you all week." I've been home but we see each other for about 10 mins before I'm drooling on my pillow. I know I'll figure out a rhythm. Probably just about semester end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then we will appreciate winter break all the more, yes?! It's definitely hard to find time for EVERYTHING... a good lesson in prioritizing, though, I'm learning. But MUST I learn it every semester?! Ahh.

    ReplyDelete