Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How do you define peace?

"Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS. I will say it again: REJOICE!
Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God.

And the peace of God, which transcends ALL understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 4:4-7

---------------------------

Peace.

Peace that transcends (go beyond, exceed, to be above and independent of, surpass) all of our understanding. How do you define peace? Do you seek peace as in comfort, perfection, lack of hurt, pain or trouble? Do you only experience peace when your circumstances or emotions (both of which are fleeting) dictate it?

I believe that God gives us peace in the exact moment and way that we need it, even if we don't realize it.

I love the snow. This morning as I'm running off of way too little sleep, two tantrums from my two lovely kids before school, taking Channing late to school for the first time all year, and stumbling through a ridiculous quiz for my perspectives class (a class that I REALLY need to work on changing my own perspective towards... I've got to stop saying "I can't.") ... the piece of chocolate and hazelnut latte and favorite music helped to calm my heart... but when I saw the SNOW falling outside the coffeeshop window, I felt like it was from the Lord. I love that. I love seeing Him in nature, hearing Him in the encouragement of a friend, seeing His character shine all through scripture... I just love His presence. Psalm 16 says that "in His presence is fullness of joy." God, help me to live in your presence constantly. Help me to keep my emotions/thoughts in check and rely completely on You... for YOUR peace exceeds my understanding of what peace is supposed to look like. I want Your kind of peace, not the kind I create.

1 comment: