Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

What are you listening to?

We have the option of listening to a million different voices that constantly vie for our attention -- especially in this "digital age." Advertisements, celebrities, social trends, new medical reports, friends, family, even acquaintances... 

It seems that TRUTH can very easily get pushed to the way side with very little consideration.

Probably the most common "outside" voice I find myself fighting against is actually "inside" -- my emotions. 

Do you ever wake up feeling grumpy? (If not, you can probably just stop reading here... )

In the past twelve hours I went to sleep grumpy and woke up even grumpier. 

[Hate when that happens...]

I didn't go to bed grumpy... but I began to get quite grumpy as I lay there wide awake, trying to go to sleep. I found myself irritated with the most menial, silly things. (All of this happening in my head, mind you.) Then I woke up when my alarm went off and got grumpy all over again because I didn't feel rested. I felt like I just wasted far too many hours trying to get to sleep, not getting restful/productive sleep, and then trying to wake up... I find it ironic that I had so much trouble going to sleep AND so much trouble waking up. Ha!

Can anyone relate to that? Anyone?

A night like that can sure taint my attitude for the next day. Sometimes I let it.

It just depends on what I choose to listen to.

Thankfully, this morning I chose to fix my eyes on JESUS and focus on TRUTH. I made myself coffee & breakfast, turned the fireplace on, sat on the couch with a warm blanket and read my Bible, prayed, and listened to my favorite worship song. (One Thing Remains, Kristian Stanfill)

I prayed for refreshment. I prayed that God would search my heart, see if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23-24). I prayed that God would satisfy my heart and overwhelm my soul. I prayed for contentment in Him and nothing / nobody else. 

I know that I don't always choose to listen to Truth. "...The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Matthew 26:41). Sometimes I listen to emotions or criticism from other people or fear or whatever is the trend of the moment. Sometimes I doubt the truth. "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26)

But the fulfillment of the SPIRIT of Truth is like none other!

God is jealous for you... He DESIRES to spend time with you. He pursues your heart like no other person can. "My soul finds rest in God alone [...]" (Psalm 62:1).

What voice are you going to choose to listen to today? 

Everything else is meaningless.
HE is all you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment