Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday ~ Looking in the Nooks & Crannies

I know that I've said this countless times, but I think it is worth acknowledging again the reality that some days are easier to have a thankful heart than others. Some days it is just plain HARD; it takes a little more time and concentration to see the blessings because you first have to sort through the muck of disappointments, frustrations, emotions, burdens, fears, exhaustion and built up tasks / expectations. All of which could be seen as "blessings in disguise" anyways -- just another tactic of Satan, I believe, is to make us blind to blessings and emphasize the everyday struggles. The truth is, God's plan is sovereign regardless of how much of it I understand.

I was thinking last night as I drifted off to sleep (very easily, as it had been a loooong day) about how it's time for "Thankful Thursday" again... and why can't this blog post always land on the days that thankfulness seems to come easily and beautifully insightful thoughts and exhortations about thankfulness just flow nicely out of my head???

Welcome to LIFE, Kailene. :)

A reminder, yet again, that there is always, always, ALWAYS something to be thankful for.


"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

... always...continually... in all circumstances...

So, we push forward and choose a joyful & thankful heart, regardless of circumstances.

-------------------------------------------------------

Today I am thankful for:

- The chance of SNOW in the forecast. I'm such a Northwest girl. 
(except most people here actually hate the snow... so I guess I'm just unique.)

- Peppermint coffee creamer. 'Tis the season!

- The book I am currently reading (more like, slowly making my way through...): "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World -- Finding intimacy with God in the busyness of life" -- love these sweet reminders of what is TRULY important in the midst of a world that teaches otherwise.

- Seeing God's abundant provision in allowing me to attend a conference in Spokane this weekend -- everything from the cost of the actual event, cost of the rental car, managing the details of even reserving a rental car, and a sweet friend to make the seven hour road trip with. 

- Also, for the opportunity to attend this conference! I am confident that it will be a much-needed time to continue processing and praying about the future. I am so excited for God's plan... whatever it may be. 

- I am so very thankful that the kids made an awesome fort in the living room that will *hopefully* entertain them for a couple of hours while I finish blogging and take a chemistry quiz online. We're going to make english muffin pizzas for lunch and then go do something fun this afternoon. But for now, I think we are all enjoying the peace and quiet of a day off. (for them, not me. haha)

- Close friendships all over the place... I am thankful for, and miss terribly, my friends in Virginia, Texas, Kentucky, California, Oregon, Washington, Pennsylvania, Washington and everywhere else. I am truly blessed by such solid and constant friendships of people who don't even live near me. Thank God for video chats -- one of the greatest technological innovations, in my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------

On the days that thankfulness is not your first response:

Don't give up! Sometimes it's necessary to look in the nooks and crannies to search out those blessings, because they ARE there. It is well worth the time and energy to look beyond the surface and dig deeper to what truly matters; what is really there. The blessings are not absent, they're just disguised and hard to find. Don't let that stop you. Look in the nooks and crannies of your life and take those blessings as joyful offerings to the Lord in recognition of how He truly does provide and care for you, even in the darkest of times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment