Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

- Simplified -

I've had to sit here for a few moments (or possibly quite a bit longer... ah, the plight of a writer.) with a very white, very blank page. Armed with a free coffee, Bible nearby, calming Christmas music playlist... even a window seat in the coffee shop. 
And I've still got nothing.

It has clearly been quite a while since I've sat down to write for anything outside of school work - even to journal. (Shocking, I know.) I can think of a myriad of different things to update you on, questions I've been mulling over, excerpts from books I've been reading... but then I realized, that's not what is really on my heart. 

That's the way it usually works for me; I can sit down with one idea of what I think I will write about, but as soon as my fingers start moving across the keys, God changes the direction of my heart and I see what He has really put there for me to share. 

Christmas is by far, off the charts, 100%, absolutely, my favorite time of year. There are so many reasons why I love Christmas. But many know better than me, that the joy of this season does not negate the burdens and trials that pay no heed to trivialities like the time of year. They don't care that you are trying to celebrate LIFE and FREEDOM. They don't come at convenient times, if it were that such a thing even exists.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; 
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." 
- Jesus (John 10:10)

I hear about the woman who was just diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread to her brain.

I think about my childhood friend who was just diagnosed with a serious congenital heart defect and must undergo open heart surgery immediately. 

I am reminded of constant financial struggle in the lives of families very dear to me.

I am surrounded by students who are overwhelmed at the end of a semester.

I recall points of shame and guilt in my own life and know that it is not from the Lord.

... and my heart is heavy.

No matter the struggle, the worry, the pain, the affliction... there is always hope. 
And His hope does not disappoint us.

"Not only so, but we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
Romans 5:3-5

Hope...
Even when we don't understand it. 
Even when it doesn't make sense.
Even when we don't have the answers.
Hope in CHRIST will never disappoint in the end.

----------------------------------

Which brings me to what is really on my heart... life simplified. It is incredibly easy for my focus to shift from the beauty and sovereignty of Christ to my own futile worries and fears. It is in those times, that we need to take a step back, a deep breath, and a moment to acknowledge just how Almighty and Powerful God really is. I have to remind myself over and over again that just because I am thrown off kilter by the events of life, God is not the least bit surprised. "Trust me, Child," He says.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and i will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

It takes faith to choose trust, surrender -- offering up every ailment, fear, concern, sadness and pain to the Creator who made you to live in a healthy, whole, completely fulfilling relationship with Him.

As for those burdens that don't seem to disappear just because you put up the Christmas tree and listen to your favorite Christmas album... God is still good.

"Therefore we do not lose heart
Though outwardly we are wasting away, 
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for 
us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen
but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, 
but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Amen and Amen.

We all know that life is by no means "easy" or simple." I learn that lesson more and more as time goes on. But I do believe that the burdens on my mind are made light and the pain in my heart is eased when I choose to place my HOPE and TRUST in Jesus. He "simplifies" my life because at the point when I choose to trust, I am no longer the one trying to appease, heal, succeed and figure it all out. I trade my sorrow for His JOY... and joy is simple. light. beautiful. 

What would this look like in YOUR life?

Last week it meant that I put away my school work and took a short walk around downtown to look at all the Christmas lights. It means hot tea and Bible reading when I wake up in the morning. It means praying instead of worrying. It means acknowledging the struggle, but knowing and believing that God is far greater than your struggle.

2 comments: