Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

One Step at a Time

I am a huge advocate of TIME.

I would prefer to wake up earlier than necessary in the morning so I don't have to rush.

I need time to make decisions.

I always recommend couples take time in relationships.

But on the other hand... I really like to sleep in. Also, I don't like the actual process of decision making and my heart tends to try to skip to the end result so as to miss the messy middle part. And relationships? Shoot, that's just complicated. I'm the kind of girl who tries to figure out if I could marry him after the first coffee date. So, it's true, sometimes I forget the importance of time. Regardless of how much I may advocate it in counsel and conversation, my natural tendency is still to RUSH. 

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself. But let's just be real. I know you've done it, too.

It's kind of like Paul's frustration in the book of Romans, "As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing" (7:17-19)

Sure, I can appreciate the value of time and waiting and preparation.

But when it comes down to it, I don't generally live like I appreciate it.

I live like I want to wish it all away.

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I love how this is worded... "The trick is to ENJOY life." It's a trick. A little known fact. The shortcut to JOY is learning to enjoy each day, rather than wishing them away in anticipation of what lies ahead.

It's somewhat comical that we do that. [anticipate "better" days ahead.]

We don't even know what lies ahead! 

Who am I that I can predict the future and assume that everything I plan and hope for will come to fruition the exact way that I plan and hope for them, too. 

Sure, sometimes that happens.

But probably more often than not we are surprised by what lies ahead... 
new opportunities.
adventures.

I have to remind myself {rather often} to simply take life one step at a time.

Contentment.

There's no need to get ahead of myself. 

Just live with what I have and where I'm at TODAY, and hold tomorrow with open hands and an open heart. 

Enjoy what you have today and get excited about whatever it is that God is preparing you for. 

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." 
-- Hebrews 11:1


2 comments:

  1. This was wonderful Kailene. You have honesty with yourself and others about something that I know many of us are struggling with and don't even realize it. Thank you for always sharing your wisdom with others.

    -Natalie B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - I am so encouraged by your sweet comment. Thank you, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete