Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Sunday, February 24, 2013

"You who are TRYING..."

"You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope."
Galatians 5:4-5

Trying
Striving
Conforming
Performing
Excelling
Compelling

It's all a race to the finish line, right? Or, at least to the end of the week...

Even if I'm not racing with other people, I am definitely racing myself -- for some reason I feel the need to beat my "record" from last week & do more, be better, think smarter, walk faster, wake up earlier, and please every person I meet along the way.

This need for "bigger & better" is definitely cultural, no doubt. But I think it's more than just a result of Western culture. It's also a result of the fallen (sinful) nature of mankind. It comes from this deep root in our hearts to look out for ourselves and come out on top.

Even though it often seems this is our only option - survival of the fittest? - God set a NEW way of doing things when He gave His Son, Jesus. 

Check out Galatians 4:21-31 where Paul explains the difference in living as children of the slave woman and the free woman, referring to Hagar and Sarah. (See also, Genesis 21 for the full story.)

God's new way of doing things relies less on the law and more on His grace, mostly because Paul tells us in Romans 3:23 that ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (the law -- the verse goes on to say that we "are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.") There is no way ever that we could muster up righteousness on our own. And yet we continue to strive for it all the time. It's a futile expedition.

Take a look at Galatians 5:4-5 again -- and let the Spirit of Truth revolutionize your world!!!
*with Kailene's amplified notes in brackets

"You who are trying to be justified by law [accepted/approved of/affirmed by following the rules and doing the 'right thing', checking skills/tasks off on a list] 

have been alienated from Christ; [separated, distanced]

you have fallen away from grace [God's grace becomes ineffective when we choose to live by the LAW rather than GRACE. When we don't receive the free gift of grace, we negate Jesus' death on the cross. It's not that grace is no longer offered or that we "lost our chance." This is when we do not live in the freedom of God's grace. See Gal. 5:1]

But by faith we eagerly await [how?] through the Spirit [what?] the righteousness [from CHRIST alone!] for which we hope." [We tend to try to create our own righteousness by living solely by the law -- legalism at it's finest.]

The truth of the Gospel packed in these two verses is more refreshing to my soul than I could even say! I am so thankful for new revelations of truth... and I pray that God's would use His word to speak to your heart, too.

NOTHING, but the Blood of Jesus. All my righteousness, Jesus in me.

  1. What can wash away my sin?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    What can make me whole again?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
    • Refrain:
      Oh! precious is the flow
      That makes me white as snow;
      No other fount I know,
      Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
  2. For my pardon, this I see,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    For my cleansing this my plea,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
  3. Nothing can for sin atone,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    Naught of good that I have done,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
  4. This is all my hope and peace,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    This is all my righteousness,
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
  5. Now by this I’ll overcome—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
    Now by this I’ll reach my home—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
  6. Glory! Glory! This I sing—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
    All my praise for this I bring—
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

    [Robert Lowry, 1876]

No comments:

Post a Comment