Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Persevere! Carry on!

I started my time with Jesus this morning slightly discouraged because I realized that I was 5 days behind on my Bible reading plan... which means I have a whole lot of Exodus and Leviticus to read in order to catch up. Unfortunately, I had limited time this morning and I didn't think that speed-reading through the temple requirements and such (though important!) in Exodus would be what I need to get through the day. So I put that reading plan off to finish later today and flipped over to Hebrews 4. "Randomly."

"There, remains, then a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their [see the first half of the chapter, in particular, verse 6] example of disobedience." (vs. 9-11)

These verses stood out to me for a few reasons...

1. We rest because we follow God's example.
2. "make every effort" -- strive, pursue
3. Sabbath-rest, God's rest, that rest -- a particular KIND of rest. This is different than just sleeping in to get more "rest." It is an intentional kind of rest, purposeful.

After last week's post, "Back to Bold," in which I decided on a change, one BIG thing was missing. You see, I can't just decide to be confident and bold and adventurous for Jesus all on my OWN. You know why? Because I get tired and worn out so darn easily. It's annoying.

This morning I had to be at work at 9:30 and my goal was to go to the gym AND spend time with the Lord before I went. I haven't really done that kind of morning routine since I was at Teen Mania... when all of my roommates were doing the same thing. (It's a whole lot different when you don't have a roommate to make sure you get out of bed!)

I got up a little later than planned.... but still had a great workout, then came home to a quiet house and had an incredibly refreshing quiet time. I prayed that God would multiply the few minutes I had and He did. Granted, 9:30 is two and a half hours later than I normally go to work... so tomorrow will be the real test, when my alarm goes off at 4:20! 

The small taste of resting in His peace - His shalom - this morning was worth it. Completely. I pray that it will be the last thing I think about before I go to sleep tonight and the first thing I think about in the morning, so that I don't have time to whine about getting out of my warm bed or press snooze on my alarm. 

Strive for peace. Do whatever it takes. Jesus is faithful and promises that when we seek Him, we will find Him. I am so grateful that I have a foundation of TRUTH to stand on all day long.

It's easy to make a declaration of change (i.e. - my epiphany last week), it's a whooooole different story to actually make a plan and follow through with it. It's about not giving up for anything. Plan with the end in mind and just keep moving forward! 

No comments:

Post a Comment