Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Friday, March 29, 2013

Love. True Love.

What's the big idea anyways? Everyone must understand LOVE considering how often we throw around that powerful little four letter word.

But what do we DO with the power of that word when we say things like:

"I love pizza!"

"I love coffee!"

"I love sleep!"

I mean really, we sure love a lot of stuff

What's the difference between the list above and this one:

"I love my husband!"

"I love my best friend!"

"I love Jesus!"

In the first list, let's call it "lower tier kind of love," I can love something, but not care about it. I love coffee, but I don't represent it, or advocate for it, do not possess feelings for it, and my "love" may change from day to day. And that's okay. (except that I'm pretty sure I will love a good cup of coffee any day. ;-) )

The second list, which I will refer to as "upper tier kind of love," is a completely different story. This kind of love is based on a decision, not feelings or emotions or a whim of the day. This love compels me to respond and act in a certain way. Upper tier kind of love creates a deep relationship between the lover and that which is loved, a bond or union that tears the deep places of your heart when it is torn apart.

It's the kind of love that can bring both joy beyond measure and inexpressible sorrow. The thing is, in order to experience the fullness of LOVE, we've got to experience both: loving through the beauty & the pain. It's an all or nothing, full package deal. We miss out on the fullness of love when we choose to detour the hard stuff.

Today is Good Friday - the day that we remember Jesus' death on the cross. 

What a day to examine the many aspects of true love. Not pizza or coffee or beautiful sunny days kind of love, but real, intimate, relational love. The kind of love that we were MADE to experience. 

I'd suggest reading the full story found in Matthew 26-28. The story doesn't end with his brutal death on the cross, but climaxes three days later at the joyful resurrection-- His love made COMPLETE. He endured the cross, but all the while knew that the time would come for wholeness and restoration. Beautiful. 

"...Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

Jesus is our example of how to love.

Robert Coleman describes Christ's love as this: "He gave all he had-- nothing was withheld, not even his own life. Love is like that. It is always giving itself away" (Master Plan of Evangelism, p. 54). 

He gave despite the fact that we are so unworthy of this kind of sacrificial love. 

He gave despite what it cost him: His LIFE on the cross. He clearly did not draw the line with turning water into wine and healing the sick. Not to negate those things, but those are not all he gave. He didn't stop there. He didn't stop anywhere. His love is unfailing.

Imagine if we were to love people with this kind of love? 
Surrendering our heart to God and giving everything we've got. 

No comments:

Post a Comment