Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Thursday, August 29, 2013

For When You Just Don't Know What To Do

It's kind of like when I'm at the ice cream shop... you know, the birthplace of all good life lessons.

Do I want something fruity or something chocolatey? That decision will determine the type of toppings I choose and the other complimentary flavors that I will potentially add on the side. Sometimes I just stand there because I don't know what I want. It's not a life changing decision; I can always come back the following week and choose the opposite flavored concoction. But boy can I get myself worked up over a silly decision like what kind of ice cream to get and then end up standing there like an indecisive fool. I end up paralyzed in my indecision. As if, "I don't know what to do, so I'm just going to stand here and wait for divine inspiration" is a better option. 

It's okay not to know what to do [referring to real life now...not ice cream], but is standing there doing nothing really the most effective response?

I realize that it's not fair for me to compare dessert options with major life decisions. I get that. When choosing ice cream, it's probably okay to just pick a random option and go with it. It's silly to take a long time and weigh the pros and cons of each flavor option. (not that I haven't done that before) 

But when it comes to LIFE, what do you do when you just don't know what to do? When it feels like your mind is BLANK and your emotions are fuzzy (at best)? When your thoughts rest on each side of a massive pendulum constantly swaying back and forth, sometimes quickly and other times so slow it's barely visible... one thing appears to be true, but then five minutes later the opposite sentiment rings out and presents itself as truth. 

And all you're left with is a big ball of confusion. And probably a tight knot in the pit of your stomach. No fun at all.

"Not knowing" generally equals "Not moving."

We usually wait until we're confident before moving forward in any decision. We want to be smart, resourceful, consider all options. So when does the "not knowing" go away? Well, whenever you KNOW, I guess.

But HOW do you go from not knowing to knowing?

---------------

Well, those are my thoughts this morning.... I will have to finish a "part two" later, as I am already running late and the day feels like it just began. This week is moving far too quickly! 

Oh Lord, I need your grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment