Pages

"... the mind controlled by the Spirit is LIFE & PEACE." -- Romans 8:6

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hunger for the Word

Last Sunday my Pastor, Paul, preached the second sermon in a series called "Unhindered."

[Check out the podcast HERE - I recommend it! The Pursuit Podcast]

One quote that has stayed with me is this: "The things of the world diminish as we consume the word of God."

I love that! There is so much truth to pull from it this single statement. First, the things of this world: It is so easy to get caught up in the race of success, achievement, status, consumerism, etc, etc. That list could go on, obviously. There are so many things of this world that people use to search for peace and contentment. Do they really find it? No. Contentment in these things of the world, whether it is actually "stuff" or just acquiring the image of a successful person, is only temporary. These things do not last. [See Matthew 6:19-21, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be."] The things of the world will fall away. They are meaningless, in light of eternity.

The more you surround yourself with people who crave things of the world (stuff or status), or watch media that encourages this craving, or dwell on thoughts that cause you to desire these things... the things of the world become greater and the Word of God becomes less significant. Or maybe not even an important factor at all. [John 3:30, "He must become greater; I must become less." Luke 9:23-25, "Then he [Jesus] said to them all: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?'"]

BUT, as we consume [take in, devour, hunger for] the Word of God [Truth found in the Bible and listening, patiently to His voice of peace, comfort, challenge and conviction.] the things of the world diminish [fall away, become insignificant, lose importance].

We can choose what we crave by being disciplined in what we intentionally put in our lives. If I only buy junk food and every time I walk into the kitchen I see ice cream, brownies and cake, then those are probably the things I will crave. But if I intentionally buy healthy fruits and vegetables - those are the things I see when I come into the kitchen; those are my food options for the day - I will start to crave those things because I see the positive impact they have on my body. (I feel better when I eat healthy food verses junk. There is a difference.) It is the same way with the Word of God... if I am disciplined in starting my morning off in the Word and reading scripture and praying for God's grace and truth to cover my day, I will start to see the positive effects of that and begin to CRAVE His Word all throughout the day.

And as I crave His Word more and more, the other things of the world (the STUFF and the STATUS) no longer mean anything to me; all I want is HIM.

What do you CRAVE?

No comments:

Post a Comment